The Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service (MSYNS) was formed in 2005 mainly to promote the welfare of the Youth in Namibia. It is mandated to promote sport, develop and empower the youth and has three (3) directorates namely,
Directorate of Sport;
Directorate of Youth; and
Directorate of General Services
The duties and functions of MSYNS encompasses, among others, the following:
- Initiate and coordinate sport policy development and facilitate the implementation of sport development programmes;
- Creation of conducive sporting environment in the country by building and upgrading sport facilities;
- Encourage inter-linkages and networking between all sport organisations and providing funding for different codes of sport;
- Provide youth development and empowerment programmes that will ensure that the youth participate and become active participants in the mainstream economy;
- Impart skills to school drop-outs and unemployed young people, thereby making them employable, self-reliant and productive citizens.
The Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service is led by Hon. Jerry Ekandjo, Minister, Hon. Agnes Tjongarero, Deputy Minister and Mr. Alfred Ilukena, Permanent Secretary.
- To build a Namibian nation through a creative, proud and active people.
- To empower and develop the youth and promote sport.
Core Values (Defined Core Values)
|Obligation of an organisation to account for its activities and accept responsibility of its manner|
Ability to be seen through, easily noticed, honest and openness.
Act in a manner that there are no fear and favoritism. Adherence of commitments and maintenance of ethical conduct.
The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles
Exploiting original and creative ideas.