Honourable Erastus Amutenya Uutoni was appointed as Minister of Sport, Youth and National Service, by His Excellency President Dr Hage Geingob. The appointment came in effect on 8 February 2018 and was done in accordance with Article 32 (3) (i) (bb) of the Namibian Constitution..
Hon. Minister Responsibilities:
- To put in place strategies that promote civic education;
- To cultivate good moral;s and citizenship in preparing the youth to become future leaders of our country;
- To implement programmes aimed at development sport infrastructure, youth development, skills development; and;
- To improve the National Youth Service programmes
- Transparent procurement with a focus on empowerment of Namibian, particularly youth and women,; and job-creation but not at the expense of value for money;
- Driving a performance culture within the Ministry through leading by example and applying a hands on approach;
- Focus on timely interventions and prompt implementation of policy decision;
- Review any law, policy, regulation or institution which hampers the effective implementation of plans and programmes of the Government;
- Ensure maximum output within the context of limited financial resources;
- Ensure coordination with other Offices, Ministries and Agencies; and
- Continuously monitor, evaluate and report on progress being made in the Ministry
Honourable Agnes Tjongarero was appointed as Deputy Minister of Sport, Youth and National Service, by His Excellency President Dr. Hage Geingob with effect from 21 March 2015, in terms of Article 32 (3) (i) (bb) of the Namibian Constitution..
Hon. Deputy Minister Responsibilities:
- To put strategies in place that promote civic education, cultivation of good morals and citizenship that prepare the youth to become useful citizens of our country through the National Youth Service.
- To assist Honourable Erastus Amutenya Uutoni, the Minister to implement programmes aimed at youth development, sport infrastructure, skills development and improvement of the National Youth Service programmes..
- Transparent procurement with a focus on empowerment of Namibians; particularly youth and woman; and job-creation but not at expense for value for money;
- Driving a performance culture with the Ministry through leading by example and applying a hands-on approach;;
- Focus on timely interventions and fast implementation of policy decisions;
- Reviewing any law , policy, regulation or institution which hampers the effective implementation of plans and programmes of Government.
- Ensure maximum output with the contest of limited financial resource;
- Ensuring coordination with Offices, Ministries and Agencies, especially those which are closely related to my line functions;
- Enhance political and administrative interface in the Ministry;
- Engaging and listening to the voice of civil society, particularly grassroots organization, with the understanding that the ultimate goal is to improve the living standards of all Namibians;
- Continuous monitoring, evaluation and reporting on progress being made in the Ministry..
Mrs. Emma Kantema-Gaomas
Executive Director (view Biography)
Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service
NDC Building, Goethe Street
Private Bag 13391, Windhoek
Tel No.: +264 61 270 6528
Fax No.: +264 61 - 245 764
Email Address Ps.Secretary@msyns.gov.na
Mrs. Emma Kantema-Gaomas was appointed as Executive Director of Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service with effect from 1 September 2017, in terms of Section 5 (1) read in Conjunction with Sections 19 (a) and 20 of the Public Service Act, 1995 (Act 13 of 1995).
- To ensure that the administrative machinery of the Ministry of Sport, Youth and National Service are geared towards improving public service delivery by nurturing a culture of efficiency and accountability.
- To ensure that Public Service Reform Initiative (PSRI) is achieved through the full implementation of the Performance Management System (PMS) whereby staff members will be required to sign annual Performance Agreements (PAs).
- To assist and advise the Honourable Minister and Deputy Minister of Sport, Youth and National Service in implementing programmer aimed at youth development, sport infrastructure, skills development and the improvement of the National Youth Service programmes.
- In consultations with the Minister, Deputy Minister, Secretary to Cabinet and relevant key stakeholders, devise strategies through the strategic planning process for implementation through the PMS towards fulfilling the mandate of the Ministry.
- Advise the Minister on policy and keeping him/her briefed on all major issues affecting the work of the Ministry and directly answerable to the Minister;
- Initiate policy for consideration by the Minister and oversee policy implementation and review;
- Drafts Cabinet memoranda for the Minister;
- Prepare answers to questions raised by members of the National Assembly during question time for use by the Minister;
- Assess feasibility of programmes and prepare budget proposals of the Minister;
- Ensures that all disbursements are made within budgetary allocations as they are answerable to the Public Accounts Committee of the National Assembly;
- Provides organisation and leadership, maintain full control of the day-to-day activities of the Ministry;
- Delineating clearly the authority and responsibilities of subordinates;
- Maintains regular contact with the various heads of department, serving as liaison with other offices and ministries;
- Exercise disciplinary authority over subordinates directly accountable to them;
- Communicates government priorities and Cabinet’s directives to the office or Ministry staff.